Create a Basic Matrix Report
Matrix reports are the most commonly-used type of report. A matrix report must include at least one row element, one column element, and one account or account attribute. Drag elements from the element pane on the left into the row and column segments in the main area of the builder. You can create complex matrix reports by stacking elements in the rows, columns, filters, and parameters areas.
From the Reports page, click New Report and select Matrix Report. The report builder appears.
- Click the Accounts element to see the accounts available for use in the report. Once they are expanded into the level of detail you want to display in the report, drag and drop the accounts you want from the elements pane to the row segment on the left. The accounts appear in the row segment:
- Drag and drop the current month and Year To Date from the Time elements in the elements pane to the column segment along the top of the builder. This report will display the expenses for the current month and the year to date.
- Right-click in the YTD element in the column segment and select Properties. To make the YTD consistent with the month you selected, select that month in the Properties dialog and click OK.
Drag an Organization element to the Filters area. Filters let you narrow a report’s focus. Expand the Level elements until you find the level you want. This example uses Engineering level for the filter.
You can let viewers of your report change the level by dragging it to the Parameters area at the top of the main builder area.
- Parameters create menus for people viewing your report to adjust it. For this report, click and drag the level from the Filters area to the Parameters area. You can create parameters using any of the elements currently in the report. For this example report, you can click and drag accounts or time from their respective segments to the Parameters area.
(Optional) Enter a title for the report. Click Report properties and enter the title in the Title box. Click Apply. Titles are not required, but are helpful for people viewing your report. The report is now ready to run.
Click Save. Select whether to save the report in your personal folder or to share it. You can select which users, user groups or levels can see this report.
- Click the Run report drop-down menu and select Run as HTML in a New Window. A new browser window opens with the generated report. Notice the Level drop-down in the upper left. If you create multiple parameters, there will be multiple drop-downs there. See Report Viewer for more information.
Create a Report with Reusable Reports
Reusable Reports allow you to reuse the report elements from saved matrix reports. You can apply the format settings from the reusable report elements to the new report. This saves time and allows consistency when creating new reports.
Here are a few examples:
You have created a department expense report and a department headcount report. You want to create a new report that shows the change to expenses as headcount changes. You can combine the report elements from these two separate reports to make the new report.
You noticed that several of your reports use the same configuration for version and time. You can use the version and time elements from a reusable report as part of your new report.
Reuse the elements from reusable reports by selecting either single or multiple elements or entire segments. You can add these elements to the columns, rows, and sheet tabs on the matrix report.
Make a Saved Report Reusable
- From the Reports overview, open a report folder.
- Right-click the report and select Add to Reusable Reports. Once a report is reusable, the elements are available to reuse in other reports:
The Add to Reusable Reports option is available from all folders, except the Favorites folder.
Find a Reusable Report
- Before accessing the building blocks of a saved report, make the report reusable.
- From the Reports overview, open the Reusable Reports folder.
The Reusable Reports folder contains a list of reports that you can use to build new matrix reports. The list of reusable reports can include shared reports added by other report users.
Access Reusable Report Elements
- Open a new or existing matrix report in edit mode.
- In the Elements pane, expand the Reusable Reports element .
Create a Report Using a Reusable Report
These steps illustrate how to add reusable report elements when creating a P&L matrix report. You add reusable version elements to this report. You can add reusable report elements to existing matrix reports too.
To use elements from a reusable report:
- Create a P&L matrix report.
In the Elements pane, expand the Reusable Reports element to view a list of reusable elements. For example, expand the Current Version versus Board Approved Comparison report to view elements in the Column Axis > Segment 1 > Version.
Drag and drop an element from Column Axis to the report columns. For example, drop the Current Version element and the Targets - Board Approved element to the report columns. Alternately, you can just drag Segment 1 to the columns to add the whole segment including the tiers and the elements in the tiers.
- Save your report and run it.
Matrix Report Builder Design Elements
The Design Elements, found at the bottom of the left pane, let you create Segments, Spacers and Custom Headers within the Matrix Report Builder.
To use a design element in a report, drag it into the rows or columns within the design area:
Create Tiers in the Matrix Report
You can nest elements within other elements on the report rows and columns. Drag items above or below one another to set new tiers. For example, a time element with a version tier displays a report with a column header for the time and sub-columns below it with the versions.
Dragging an element above other elements creates out-denting or an outer tier. Each tier can only include elements of one type such as all accounts, all levels, or all versions.
Dragging an element below other elements creates an inner tier: