Use notes to collaborate on the data in a report, such as explain a variance, an unexpected result, or an anomaly. This is useful when users with access to different levels share a report.
- Add a report note to the entire report such as a summary of the report itself.
- Add a line note to a specific row in a report to comment on the data on that row.
- Add a note to a report with a locked version to collaborate on that report with other users.
Report and Line Notes
You can add and view notes only at the levels to which you have access. The notes at child levels roll up and are visible at the parent levels. To view report and line notes, you must be either at the level at which the user added the notes or at a parent level.
For example, Sales has two child levels, Sales-North and Sales-South. The Sales-North Manager can add and view notes only at the Sales-North level. The VP of Sales can add and view all notes for all Sales levels. The CEO has top-level access and can view all notes for all levels in the company.
When you add a note, the username and date gets appended. You can also include your level information as part of the note text.
Line Notes in a Report with Levels
By default, a line note only shows at the level that you are at when you add the note. The note also shows at levels higher than your level.
If a report contains levels, the lines notes show based on where the levels appear:
- As a report parameter
- On the columns
- On the rows
Level is a Parameter
If level is a parameter, you add a line note for the level you select from the drop-down. For example, a report displays accounts for the rows, levels and time for the columns, and you parameterize Level. In the report viewer, you select Company B as the level and run the report. Next, you add a line note to the report. The note associates with the Company B level and only shows when you view the report at this level.
Levels are Columns
If levels are columns, you add a line note for all visible level columns. For example, a report displays accounts for the rows and levels for the columns (Company A and Company B). You add a line note to a row (Total 1000 Assets). The note associates with all level columns (Company A and Company B).
Levels are Rows
If levels are rows, you add a line note to only the level that is the row. For example, a report displays levels for the rows (Company A and Company B) and accounts for the columns. You add a line note to a child row under Company A. The note associates with the specific row for the Company A level only.
Before You Begin
- Required Permissions:
- Access Reports
- Modify All Reports
- A saved matrix report. You can only add notes after saving a report from the report viewer. See Create Matrix Reports.
How You Get There
From the nav menu, select Reports. Select and open a matrix report.
Add a Report Note
- From the Notes drop-down, select Add Report Note.
- Enter your note and select Ok.
You do not need to save the report to save the associated notes.
Add a Line Note
You can only add a line note to:
- A row that allows drilling in the report. You can left-click a row that allows drilling and select an option to drill into such as time, cash flow, location. See Matrix Report Overview for more on drilling in a report.
- Rows that are rightmost in the report viewer. For example, if the following rows display in the listed order, then you can only add line notes to the version rows. These rows appear last, just before the columns.
Do the following:
- Right-click a row that allows drilling and select Add Line Note.
- In the Add Note for dialog, enter your note and select OK.
Change the Display Settings of Line Notes
By default the display of line notes is based on the setting for Notes in the report properties. You can override the default setting by selecting an option from the Notes drop-down in the report viewer and then saving the report.
Change how and where line notes display in a report. From the Notes drop-down, select:
- Show in column. Displays the line notes in a column to the right of the report. The note text wraps to fit the column width. Expand or collapse the text or select the linked superscript number in a row to expand and show all the notes.
- Show as footnotes. Displays the line notes in a Footnotes section at the end of the report. Select the linked superscript number in a row to go to the note.
- Show inline. Displays the line notes inline within a row. Select the triangle next to the row label to expand or collapse the inline notes. Expand or collapse all inline notes from the Notes drop-down.
- Hide. Hides all line notes for the report. Select a different option to undo Hide.
Export a Report with Notes
Export a report to Excel or PDF. If the report contains notes, the notes export with the report data. The export format you select determines how the notes display in the exported file:
- Export to Excel: When you export to Excel, the report notes appear on a new Excel row next to the label Report Notes. The line notes appear is a Note column or under Footnotes based on their display settings.
- PDF: When you export to PDF, the report notes appear under the label Report Notes. The line notes always appear under Footnotes.
- From the Notes drop-down, select Delete Notes.
- Select a delete option:
- Selected. Deletes all report and line notes for the selected level and all its descendant levels.
- All. Deletes all report and line notes for all levels that the report includes. Use this option with caution.
- Cancel. Leaves the report and line notes unchanged.
You can also delete a single report or line note by clicking the X next to the note.
Display Cell Notes
You can display a cell note in a report that you add to a specific intersection of data in a sheet.
- Select Modify Report.
- Select Report properties.
- Select the Show cell notes check box.
To edit a cell note, access the sheet and the specific cell where you added the note. You cannot edit cell notes form a report. See Add or Edit Cell Notes.