This article includes suggestions and workarounds. Content may not be accurate for all use cases or represent best practices for the latest release.
How can I maximize the functionality of an excel template?
Generate a File that Becomes the Basis for the Template
Before generating file (the report run as Excel) for your template, make sure that the Show Report Information property is turned off. If this is turned on, the report will be mis-aligned when it is run with the template.
- Right-click the report in the menu and select Attach Template.
- Select the "Blank Template" radio button and click OK.
- Run the report.
The generated Excel file is what you will use to create your template.
Best Practices for Template Creation
- Always add a new tab/tabs on which to make your customizations.
- Do not name the new tab “Report”. In older versions of Adaptive Planning, the "Report Data" tab was called "Report" and this will cause conflicts.
- For repeating reports that use a template, a formatting tab will be needed for every repeating tab of the report. Example: repeating report repeats based on 10 levels from the org. structure; this means that the file will have 20 tabs, the report data tab per level and a formatting tab per level.
- Use dynamic references in Excel so that if new rows are added, you do not have to update the template. See the attached example and review the formulas in the Template Tab that are used to pull over the labels and the data.
- Before attaching the template, clear all data from the Report Data Tab so there is no stale data in the template. This is important so you do not accidentally expose data to users who should not see it.
- If there are splits in the report, make sure to account for the fact that users can add splits at any time.
- Templates are specific to the locale in which they are created. If you have users who use Adaptive Planning in other locales, i.e. French, German, Japanese, Spanish, etc. you might have to create templates that are locale specific or ask your users to switch to the English locale.
- Embedded Images, Pivot Tables, Excel charts and graphs are all supported within the templates.
- Macros can also be included in a template for more advanced formatting/transformation of a report.