You can define a label useful for your report. Anytime the variable components in your report changes, the labels you’ve defined change along with them. When you refresh the report, your labels update along with the data as specified.
The label types available are based on the Adaptive Insights elements and other items you apply to your report. For example, you only see a label for custom dimensions (customer, product, etc.) after you apply a custom dimension to your report.
You can also add static text in the label expression if needed. For example, if you’re setting up a label to show the report date, type Report Date before the value to provide context.
When you add, change, or remove elements from your report, any associated labels also change or remove when you refresh the report.
Add a Label
To define a Adaptive Insights label:
- Select a row, column, cell, or select many cells to which to add a label.
A label applied to a row only affects columns with applied elements.
- From the OfficeConnect tab, select Labels.
- In Label types , select the type of label to add to your report.
The values for the selected label type appear under Label types values.
- In Label type values, select the label value. Use the Shift or Ctrl key to select many values. For example, if you want a label to be the Book Name followed by the Book Description, or you want to show the Refresh Date followed by the Refresh Time.
- Select Add Expression.
The selected value appears in Label expression.
- In Label expression, type any static text you want to show before or after the selected dynamic values. Select OK.
The Label Definitions dialog box is saved and dismissed.
- If the report doesn't show your newly defined label yet, select Refresh.
OfficeConnect refreshes your report and the label appears in the report as defined.
Note: If a label does not appear or update when you refresh the report, select the affected cells, right-click the selection. Select Clear Contents from the shortcut menu. Refresh the report and the label should appear.
Modify a Label
You can review label metadata in the Reporting pane and modify it as needed.
- Select the row, column, or cell that contains the label.
- From the Reporting pane, select the Review tab. Under Elements, the Label metadata appears with its value.
- In the OfficeConnect tab, select Labels .
- Change the label definition and then click OK.
- Refresh the report to see the results of your changes.
Note: You can highlight the Adaptive Insights cells and labels throughout your report. Click Linked Cells from the Show group in the OfficeConnect tab. See Highlight Cells with Adaptive Insights Data.
Remove a Label
If you no longer need a label, pressing Delete or clicking Clear Contents does not delete the label permanently from the report. The next time you refresh the report, the label returns.
To permanently remove a label from a report:
- Right-click the row, column, or cell that contains the label.
- Select OfficeConnect > Clear Design Elements.
- Refresh the report to confirm that the label is removed from the report.