Sharing a perspective lets you collaborate with others by giving users and groups view or edit access to your dashboards and charts.
Perspectives are personal or shared. Personal and shared perspectives are contextual and will display in your perspectives overview only when they have content. The following shows personal and shared perspectives in list view and grid view:
When you share a perspective, you and others with Edit access can:
- Share or unshare shared perspectives with users and user groups.
- Check out, lock, and edit a perspective.
- Publish and unlock a checked out perspective.
Before You Begin
- Required Permission: Access Dashboards.
- Edit access to a private or shared perspective.
Learn how to create user groups.
How You Get There
From the nav menu, click Dashboards to display the perspective overview.
Share or Unshare a Perspective
You can share Personal perspectives with anyone who has access to Dashboards. You can give others view or edit access to the perspective. You can share or unshare Shared perspectives if you have Edit access to the perspective.
Share a Perspective
- On the perspective, select the More iconand select Share.
- Browse or search for people:
- Filter by All, Users, User Groups, Can View, or Can Edit.
- Search for a user or group. Type a name or email address. Auto-complete filters the list as you type.
- For each user or user group, select View or Edit access.
Unshare a Perspective
You can unshare a perspective if you have edit access and if the perspective is checked in and published.
On the perspective, select the More iconand select Unshare.
Check out a Shared Perspective
Anyone who has edit access to shared perspectives can edit the contents of the perspective, including dashboards and charts. In grid mode, the Owner icon displays in the a perspective tile indicating that you created the perspective and are the owner.
You must check out the perspective to edit it and any dashboard or chart – even if you are the owner. Checking out a shared perspective locks it and moves a version of the perspective into your personal folder until you publish the changes. Locking prevents others from editing the perspective. Others can continue to view the current, published version.
Edit the Contents of a Shared Perspective
- On the shared perspective, click the More icon and choose Checkout. The following shows two grid views of the checked out and locked Company Summary perspective:
1 View from the person who checked out the perspective. The shared perspective displays in the personal and shared folders. The Edit icon indicates that the perspective is checked out for editing. The Lock icon indicates that the perspective is checked out and unavailable for others to edit.
2 View from the owner. The owner can see that the perspective is checked out by another person. Hover over the Lock icon to see who has the perspective checked out.
- Select the perspective to access the contents.
- Select and make your changes. Click Done when you are done editing.
Publish the Perspective
You can publish the perspective when you are ready to make the changes viewable to others who have shared access to this perspective. Publishing checks the perspective in and makes it available for others to view, check out and edit, or delete. You can publish a perspective when you see the Edit icon:
- On the perspective, select the More icon and select Publish. In Grid view, the perspective no longer displays in your personal folder.
Others can view your changes and check out the perspective for more edits.