A perspective is a group of dashboards and charts, usually focused on a common function such as finance or sales.
When you access Dashboards, you start on the perspectives overview, a collection of perspectives that you have access to.
Perspectives are personal or shared – accessible by others. The perspectives overview is empty until you and others start building perspectives and sharing them. Perspectives are contextual and will appear on your perspectives overview when content is available on them. Personal and shared perspectives indicate the number of perspectives available from each.
You can create a perspective, edit, manage context filters, and delete. You can also:
- Share a perspective
- Duplicate a perspective
- Create a snapshot schedule or create an ad hoc snapshot
- Take a quick tour of the user interface.
- Required Permission: Access Dashboards.
- Edit access to a private or shared perspective.
From the nav menu, click Dashboards to display the perspective overview.
Create a Perspective
When you create a perspective, it is personal by default. You can share your perspective with others.
Click New to create a perspective. Enter a name and click OK. The perspective detail page displays with a default dashboard, named Dashboard.
Click the Dashboards link (at the top) to go back to the perspectives overview to create another perspective or to view to another perspective.
Change the Perspective Settings
You can change the perspective name and add or remove context filters from the perspective context. You must be in edit mode to make these changes.
- View the perspective and click Edit from the toolbar.
- Select the perspective name in the toolbar. The edit focus is on the perspective.
The Appearance and Data Settings tabs for the perspective display in the right panel. You can edit the perspective.
Change the Perspective Name
You can rename a perspective from the perspectives overview or from the perspective details.
From the Perspectives Overview
- Select the More icon on the perspective and select Rename.
- In the dialog, enter another name and click Ok.
From the Perspective Details
With the edit focus on the perspective, enter another name in the Appearance Settings tab .
Manage Custom Context Filters
Content filters let you change the data scope of your visualizations temporarily at the perspective level.
By default, each perspective comes with a set of permanent context filters:
Custom context filters are created with dimensions, attributes, or their dimension or attribute members.
Create a Context Filter
- From the Data Settings tab , select Context to open a panel with a list available selections.
- Select a level attribute, dimension, dimension attribute, or dashboard dimensions and select a value to add the selection immediately to the toolbar.
- Select the dimension or dimension attribute to set the default context to All
- Select a dimension or attribute member to set the default context to the selection. For example, if you are production manager overseeing a specific product line, you can create a context filter on the Product dimension that defaults to the product you manage, such as laptops. Once added as a context filter, your charts on this perspective will visualize data by default for laptops only.
Remove a Context Filter
From the Data tab, select X in the context field and select OK to confirm.
The context filter is removed and will no longer display in the toolbar.
Delete a Perspective
You can delete a perspective from the perspectives overview. Deleting will remove all dashboards and charts associated with the perspective. You can delete a private perspective or a shared perspective that is not checked out.
- Click the More icon on the perspective and select Delete. A confirmation displays.
- Click Ok to delete.