The Matrix Report Builder lets you build reports with dimensions on both the rows and columns of the report. Matrix reports often have the Account dimension in the rows and the Time dimension in the columns, such as an Income Statement.
The report design area consists of a rows axis, a columns axis, a filter area, a parameter area, and an optional spreadsheet tab axis for creating repeating reports. To create a matrix report, at least one element must exist on each of the rows axis and columns axis.
Rules to consider when building matrix reports.
Elements of Like-kind share the same axis: Once you place an element on the columns axis, you cannot place an element from the same class on the rows axis. For example, if you place Current Assets (from the Accounts element) on the columns axis, you are not able to place Fixed Assets (also from the Accounts element) on the rows axis. The same rule applies to the row axis.
Filters restrict element use. Elements used as filters are not available for use on rows, columns, or sheet tabs. Once an element is placed into the filters section of the report design area, this element cannot be used on the column or row axis. You are not able to place an element as a filter once it is in use by a row axis, column axis, or sheet tab axis. Elements placed as filters can be used in Parameters.
Report Building Blocks lets you build new reports from components (building blocks) of saved reports that have been designated as a Reusable Report.
Matrix Report Elements
Reporting elements are contained in separate hierarchies within the Elements panel. Clicking an element reveals that element's tree. To get back to the list of elements, click Back to Elements above the search box. The search box allows searching all elements. Elements listed in the search results can be dragged into the report design area.
When viewing an element tree, click the icon to the right of Back to Elements to quickly swap to any other element tree. A check mark in the drop down indicates the current element tree.
See Matrix Report Builder Elements for more information.
Elements Expansion State
The elements used on matrix reports exist in various hierarchies. You can control the expansion state of the hierarchy and how it appears on the matrix report.
After adding a parent element to the report design area you can manage the expansion state. Right-click parent element and select Manage Hierarchy to access Manage Hierarchy dialog.
For hierarchies with less than 500 elements, the parent element hierarchy appears in manage hierarchy dialog. Your options for managing the parent element expansion state in this case are as follows:
- Expand or collapse parent elements to the desired view.
- Expand or collapse all
For hierarchies with more than 500 elements, the parent element hierarchy will not appear in manage hierarchy dialog. Your only option for managing the parent element expansion state in this case to expand or collapse all.
Note: A Mixed expansion state for hierarchies with more than 500 elements can exist. This indicates that the expansion state is modified and some of the parent tree details are viewable. For mixed expansion states, you can only use expand or collapse all from the manage hierarchy dialog. You cannot get back to a mixed state hierarchy after using expand or collapse all.
Alternatives for Managing Expansion State
There are alternatives to managing the expansion state outside of the report design area.
The alternatives are as follows:
- Expand the parent element to the desired state before you drag on the report axis.
- Expand or collapse parent element within the report viewer after running the report.
Create a Matrix Report
Required Permission: Access Report
Create matrix reports by dragging elements from the Elements panel on the left to the report design area on the right. The report design area consists of:
- Rows axis,
- Columns axis,
- Sheet Tab axis (for repeating reports)
- Filter area,
- Parameters area, and
- Optional spreadsheet tab axis for creating repeating reports.
At least one element must exist on each of the row and columns axes. Design Elements, found at the bottom of the Elements panel, can be positioned in the report to create segments, make spaces between elements, and create custom headers.
To create a Matrix report:
- Navigate to Reports and choose Matrix Report from the New Reports menu.
- Click an element in the Elements panel.
- Drag one of the items from the Elements panel into the Drag to add columns axis in the report area.
- In the Elements panel, navigate to another element and drag it into the Drag to add rows axis in the report area.
- Optional elements to include in the columns or rows sections include:
- Segment, Blank space or Custom header; found at the bottom of the elements pane under the DESIGN ELEMENTS header. Drag onto Axis to customize report.
- Filters section: drag an element to the filter area at the top of the report. Double click the filter to set filter properties.
- Parameters section: drag an element already placed on the report to the parameters area at the top of the report. Double click the parameter to set parameter properties.
- Once all items are in position, click Save.
- In the Save Report dialog, enter a name, choose the report output, set sharing, set a save location, and determine level visibility.
- To run the report using the default output, click Run. To run the report in an output format other than the default, click the down arrow to the right of the Run button and select an output format.
To build reports from elements of saved matrix reports, see Report Building Blocks.
Where tiering occurs is indicated by indenting/out-denting, and can be changed by dragging items above or below one another. The word tier displays next to the cursor when dragging tiers into new positions.
To clear a report definition, select all of the elements in the report and delete them. If the report has not yet been saved, navigate away from the current report definition and begin creating a new report.