Report Building Blocks allow you to reuse the report elements from saved matrix reports.
Suppose that you have created a department expense report, and a department headcount report. You would like to create a new report that shows the change to expenses as headcount changes. You can combine the report building blocks from these two separate reports to make the new report.
- You notice that several of your reports use the same configuration for version and time. You can use the version and time building blocks from a reusable report as part of your new report.
- The format settings from the building blocks get applied in the new report. There is no need to re-apply the formatting. This will create some time savings and consistency when creating new reports.
You can select building blocks from reusable reports for reuse by:
- Single element selection
- Multiple element selection
- Element segments selection
You can add building blocks to the column axis, row axis, and sheet tab axis on the matrix report. See Matrix Report Builder for more on building a matrix report.
From the Reports Folder pane, you can:
- Add saved reports as reusable reports
- Filter reports to only see reusable reports
From the Matrix Report Builder, you can:
- Access reusable reports from the Reports element
- Add building blocks from the Reports element to the report area
How to Make a Report Reusable
Navigation: Reports > open a report folder.
To make a report reusable, right click on the report and select Add to Reusable Reports. Once a report is reusable, the building blocks are available to reuse in other reports.
Note: The Add to Reusable Reports option is not available in the Favorites folder.
Find Reusable Reports
Navigation: Reports > open Reusable Reports folder.
To access a saved reports building blocks, the report must first be made reusable.
The Reusable Reports folder contains a list of reports that you can use to build new matrix reports. The list of reusable reports includes shared reports added by other report users.
Access a Report Building Block
Navigation: Reports > click New Report and select Matrix
You access report building blocks from the Reports element in the left pane of the Matrix Report Builder. From here, expand the reusable report to view the report building blocks.
How to Construct a Matrix Report with Report Building Blocks
These steps assume that the Expense vs. Budget report was created and added to reusable reports.
To use building blocks from saved reports:
- Create a new report.
- Expand the Report element to view a list of reusable reports.
Example: Expand the Expense Budget vs. Actuals report to view building blocks for versions, time, and accounts
- Drop a building block from the Column Axis from the left pane to the column axis in the report area.
Example: Drop the Actuals Version building block to the column axis in the report area.
- Drop a building block from the Row Axis from the left pane to the row axis in the report area.
Example: Drop the PL Expense Account building block in the left pane to the rows in the report area.
- Drop more building blocks on the report based on desired report configuration.
- Save your report and run it.