How do I create a PowerPoint that updates dynamically in a Report Book?
- Create a Matrix report that has an Excel template attached (a sample template is included in the article for you to view).
- Helpful Hint: Use a prompting report parameter so that you can choose the month that should be output when the report is run.
- Run the report and Save the Excel file to your desktop.
- Open PowerPoint.
- Click Object from the Insert ribbon.
5. Make sure Create new is selected, then choose Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet.
- Click OK.
- Click the Report Data tab on your Excel template and highlight the range of cells you wish to include on the PowerPoint. Copy the selection.
- Highlight a cell in the table that you just inserted in the PowerPoint. From the Home ribbon, choose Paste Link.
- Repeat steps 9 and 10 for the range of cells that you wish to include on the PowerPoint.
- Once you have finished copying and pasting the links from the Excel template to the table in PowerPoint, save the PowerPoint.
- Click Upload File from the New Report drop-down menu.
- Give the file a Name and browse for the PowerPoint.
- Save the PowerPoint.
- From the New Report drop-down, choose Report Book.
- Give the book a Name.
- Drag and drop the Excel template report and the PowerPoint Upload file to the report builder.
- Save the report book.
- Click the Reports tab and locate the book you just created. Click to run the report book for any month that you wish.
- A zip file should open. Open both the Excel template and the PowerPoint.
- Save the Excel template to your desktop (that is fine if you replace the template you saved earlier in step 2).
- Save the PowerPoint to your desktop (that is fine if you replace the template you saved earlier in step 4).
- Double-click the Excel table in the PowerPoint. Click Edit Links from the Data ribbon.
- Click Change Source and update to look at the Excel template that you just created in step 21.
- Helpful Hint: If you save the report output to the same location each time you run the Report book, you should not need to update the links each time. You can just click Refresh All.