OfficeConnect for Excel workbook files have an .xlsxai file extension and use the Adaptive logo. You can have only one OfficeConnect workbook open at a time. If you forgot to save an open workbook, you'll be prompted to save it.
Open New OfficeConnect Workbooks
Launch OfficeConnect for Excel from the Windows start menu and log in using your Adaptive Planning username and password. If you are already logged in to OfficeConnect, select File > New and click Blank Workbook. You'll be prompted to save any OfficeConnect workbooks that are still open.
The New Workbook window opens with some initial default settings that you set now or update through Workbook Properties in the OfficeConnect tab of the ribbon.
Open Existing OfficeConnect Workbook
Find and open existing OfficeConnect workbooks:
- Click Recent from the OfficeConnect tab to see up to 25 of your most recently opened workbooks. Click the one you want to open.
- Go to File > Open and browse to the location of the workbook.
- Double-click an OfficeConnect workbook file (a file with an .xlsxai file extension) in Windows Explorer.
If the data was cleared when the workbook was saved, click Refresh to load the data.
Save OfficeConnect Workbooks
Go to File > Save or File > Save As.
- Browse to the location where you want to store the workbook and change the file name if necessary.
- Click Save.
- When prompted, click Yes to hide the data as a security measure. The data in cells are replaced with a placeholder, which you can set in the Workbook Properties.
Export OfficeConnect Workbooks to Excel
You can save, or export, an OfficeConnect workbook as a regular Excel file. This is useful if you want to share the report with others who don’t have access to OfficeConnect and don’t need a connection to the Adaptive Planning instance.
Keep in mind that when you export an OfficeConnect workbook to Excel, all Adaptive Planning metadata is removed, so the file is left with the static labels and data in an xlsx file. Without the metadata, the link to your Adaptive Planning instance is broken, and therefore the file cannot be refreshed from your Adaptive Planning database. Instead, this file serves only as a static snapshot of data.
To save an OfficeConnect workbook as a standard Excel file:
Go to File > OfficeConnect, and click Export Workbook.
- Browse to the location where you want to store the Excel file, enter the file name, and then click Save.
When you export the workbook, you save a new Excel .xlsx workbook and the OfficeConnect .xlsxai workbook still exists with the Adaptive Planning metadata. You have two files — the static Excel workbook and the dynamic and connected OfficeConnect workbook.
Copy Worksheets Between Workbooks
Copy the contents of one OfficeConnect workbook, including element structure, into another workbook by using the Merge Workbook command.
- Open the Workbook with the worksheet you want copied.
- Verify the following:
- To add a new worksheet: verify that the sheet name is unique between the two workbooks.
- To replace a worksheet: verify that the sheet name is the same between the two workbooks.
- Rename a worksheet if necessary:
- Double click the sheet tab at the bottom of the screen and type the new name. Press Enter.
- Right-click in the sheet tab and select Rename. Then type the new name and press Enter.
Save and close the workbook and then open a new workbook.
Go to File > OfficeConnect, and click Merge Workbook.
Browse to find the original .xlsxai workbook and click Open.
Select the checkboxes next to the names of the worksheets you want to add to the target workbook and those you want to replace. You can only replace worksheets that have the same name.
New Workbook Defaults
The table explains the settings and your options:
|Setting||Description||Default Type: Default||Modify the Setting|
|Report Date||Change the date by clicking the dropdown arrow.||System default: today's date||Workbook Properties > Summary tab|
|Make new time elements relative to report date||System default: selected||Workbook Properties > Summary tab|
|Show zero in cells with no data||
Select to show zeros when:
Clear to only show zeros when zero has been entered on the corresponding sheet cell
|OfficeConnect User Settings.
Change the default in User Settings > General tab.
|Workbook Properties > Format tab|