Before You Begin
Before setting up consolidation, determine how activities between entities or trading partners are handled.
The following table explains the choices for the elimination method:
|Account Attributes||An Intercompany accounts payable and accounts receivable (credit and debit) is required for each trading partner.||When separate accounts are preferred. This method offers more touch-points and equal or higher granularity.|
|Level Dimensions (splits)||Used to differentiate intercompany accounts. You must assign the trading partner dimension to all sheets used to enter data into these accounts.||When a sub-account structure with fewer touch-points and moderate granularity are preferred.|
Considerations: Choose your elimination method carefully. You can change this setting any time, except in the following cases:
- Existing elimination rules. Delete all elimination rules before changing this setting.
- For level dimensions (splits) method, the trading partner dimension cannot be in use on a sheet. Remove all references before changing this setting.
- All existing trading partners are reset during the changeover. You must reconfigure them when changeover is complete.
Set up Consolidation
These are the high-level steps for setting up the consolidation process:
- Choose an elimination ( trading partner account identification) method.
- Navigate to: Administration > System > General Setup. The Setup page appears.
- From Setup Details, choose one of the following from the Trading partner account identification option:
- Use account attributes (default)
- Use splits
- Click Save.
- Define the organization levels required for eliminations and trading partners.
- Define the intercompany GL accounts
- Create elimination rules.
- Optional. Create journal entries.
Allocation is the process of reassigning values (like income or headcount expenses) from one part of an organization to different parts of the organization. In Consolidation, this process is accomplished through allocation rules, which are created and managed from the Manage Allocation Rules page. You can access the Manage Allocation Rules page from the Administration page.