Shared formulas are calculations assigned to an account. They persist across selected levels and the entire time span of a version. Unlike other calculated data, shared formulas provide values that aren't locked in sheets. Because the value isn't locked, you can edit the formula in the sheet cell or enter different data.
Export formulas to:
- Review them all at once.
- To make bulk updates: Edit them and add new ones. Then import.
- To import to another instance if you have multi-instances.
Import formulas to add, update, and delete many formulas.
- Required permission to export: Model Management Access > Model.
- Additional required permission to import: Model Management Access > Structure Import
- New to shared formulas? See Shared Formula Overview.
From the nav menu, select Formulas.
Export Shared Formulas
You have two options when you click the Export or print button:
- Formulas of the selected account (default): Get the formulas for all the levels of the selected account and version.
- Formulas of all accounts: Get the formulas for all accounts and levels in the entire selected version.
The formulas download into an Excel file. If there are over one million rows, the formulas download into a CSV file.
- The User Edit column value includes preserve for any intersections with user edits.
- The file contains the name of the version you selected when you clicked the Export button.
Download the Template
From the toolbar, click Import Shared Formulas. Click the Download Template link from the dialog box.
You update the version selected at the time of import.
Best Practice: To make bulk updates or additions, export the shared formulas first. Make changes in the export file. Then import the updated file.
- Either export existing formulas or download a blank template.
- For the template:
- In the Account column, enter account codes.
- In the Level column, enter parent level names to import shared formulas to the (Only) level of that parent. To include child levels, list each child level with a formula.
- In the Formula column, enter the formula. To remove the formula, leave it blank or delete the entire row.
- Leave the User Edits column blank or enter preserve to save user edits, even if you didn't change the formula. Enter remove to replace all existing data with the formula.
- Return to the Formulas screen and select the appropriate version.
- From the toolbar, click the Import Shared Formulas button.
- Choose Update and append or Replace entire structure. Then, select the file.
- Click Upload.
Use the Update and append option to:
- Delete formulas: Enter a level and account combination of an existing formula, and leave the Formula column blank. Or, from an exported file, find the level and account combination and delete the formula from the Formula column.
- Change formulas: Enter a level and account combination of an existing formula, and enter updated formula in the Formula column. Or, from an exported file, find the combination and edit the formula in the Formula column.
- To add formulas: Enter a level and account combination that has no formula. Enter a formula in the Formula column.
Use the Replace entire structure option to delete all existing shared formulas and import only the formulas in the import. The import preserves all user edits for level and account combinations that aren't in the import file.