When you delete a dimension, you delete all its values. You can't delete dimensions or values that are in use. You can tell a dimension is in use by the blue dot next to it in the dimension list:
To delete a dimension you must remove it from historical data, even locked versions. Consider hiding the dimension values from new versions to maintain historical data. See Hide Dimension Values from Versions.
Before You Begin
How You Get There
From the nav menu, select Modeling. From the Levels and Dimension menu, select Dimensions.
Delete Dimensions or Values
From the dimension list, select a dimension or dimension value that does not have a blue dot. Then, click Delete from the toolbar.
If the dimension or dimension value has a blue dot:
- Remove it from:
- Rules, journal entries, reports, and charts.
- Shared formulas, calculated accounts, master formulas.
- Go to Sheets > Sheets Overview. Open any sheet with the dimension and find any data associated with the dimension or value. Replace or update the data to remove the association.
- If you're deleting the entire dimension, also go to Modeling. Edit the sheets to remove the dimension.
- Then return to Modeling > Dimensions and delete.