Audience: Administrators who manage the model.
An account group, is a folder-like organization tool that contains accounts in the account lists, without summing the totals.
Use groups to make it easier to find accounts when you write formulas, build sheets, or design reports and charts. Groups are available for all accounts except general ledger accounts.
For information on entering data for an account in sheets, see Using Sheets.
- New to accounts? See Concept: Accounts.
- Required permission: Model Management > Model.
- Additional permissions based on task: Model Management > Structure Import or Model Management > Assumptions.
- You cannot create groups for general ledger accounts.
Get to Custom, Metric, or Assumption Accounts
Go to the nav menu > Modeling. In the Accounts menu, select Custom Accounts, Metric Accounts or Assumptions.
From here, create new groups, locate and edit existing groups, or move accounts to new groups.
Get to Cube or Modeled Accounts
From the nav menu, select Modeling. From the Sheets menu, select either Level-Assigned Sheets or User-Assigned Sheets. Select the Edit link next to the cube or modeled sheet. Select the Cube Accounts link or the Modeled Accounts link.
Identify Groups in the Account Hierarchy
Both groups and rollup accounts expand to reveal child accounts. To tell the difference, review the Account Details pane: Groups do not have codes, types, and many other fields.
Best Practice: Add "Group" to the Name of the group. Ex: Accounts Payable Group.
1 Accounts Receivable has limited fields. It's a group.
2 Average Daily Sales is a rollup account. Code and Type, for example, indicate that it holds values and also can be used in formulas.
Identify Groups on Sheets
- Collapsed groups show no data.
- Collapsed rollup accounts show totals.
Identify Groups in Formula Assistant
In Formula Assistant, you see the account groups in the lists, but you can't use them in the formulas. Instead, expand the account group to see accounts organized within it.
From the toolbar, click Create New Group and complete the settings and fields in the Account Details pane.
- For the Rolls up to drop-down, select either the root account (labeled Metric, Custom, or Assumption) or another account group.
- Group accounts cannot roll up to accounts.
- Groups can roll up to the root of custom, metric, and assumption, or any other group.
Another option: Import new groups or updates to make bulk changes.
Move Accounts or Groups to Different Groups
- Highlight the account or group you want to move.
- For the Rolls up to drop-down, select the new group.
Delete Account Groups
When you delete a group, you also delete the group's child accounts and all their data. To avoid this, edit the Rolls up to setting of each child account so it rolls up to a different account or group.
Highlight the group to delete and click the Delete button.