Exchange rates are always entered at the GL accounts' time stratum. For most organizations this means the rates are entered by month. Model dependent time lets you create accounts that use quarter as their default time stratum (quarterly accounts) when your GL accounts are set to month. Having accounts at these different time settings may not produce the currency exchange rate results you expect.
The steps below explain how you can create a quarterly exchange rate type to select in all of your quarterly accounts so you get the currency exchange rate results you expect.
- Go to Modeling > Currencies.
- Under Exchange Rate Types click Add New.
- Create an Exchange Rate Type with a code, abbreviation and name that clearly indicates it is for accounts other than your GL.
- Provide a description that explains why it was created, like “A quarterly exchange rate for use when the GL uses month”.
- Save the Exchange Rate Type.
- Click Enter Currency Exchange Rates.
- Within Exchange Rates, enter the quarterly value in the last month of each quarter.
- Click Save.
- When creating an account in the Account Admin, choose the Exchange Rate type you created in step 3 that matches the time stratum of this account.