Integration tasks let you build import processes and filters, then give those tasks to the users who need them to do their jobs. You can schedule tasks to run automatically, or users can run them on-demand as needed. Most day-to-day use of integration involves tasks.
Before You Begin
- Required Permissions: Integration Management > Data Designer
- Requires Integration
How You Get There
Go to nav menu > Integration > Design Integrations
Create a New Task
- Access the Data Designer by going to Integration > Design Integrations.
- Expand Tasks in the Component Library.
- Select Create New Task.
- Select Integration Task and enter a meaningful name describing what the task does.
- Select Create.
- Select a log level:
- Error: Only logs serious errors.
- Info: Logs all basic information, such as when the data source was updated.
- Verbose: Provides detailed information about all phases and actions. (This level is used primarily for debugging or auditing, as it may produce more log information than is practical for typical use.)
- Select Save.
Add Task Schedule and Loader Details
After creating the new integration task, add schedule and loader details to set when and what it runs.
- Drag an hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly schedule item from the Data Components pane to the Schedule Settings table.
- Fill in the Edit Schedule fields:
- Name: Enter the name for the schedule.
- Run: Select the frequency from the drop-down. Frequencies other than the default change the other fields accordingly.
- Schedule information: Depending on the schedule frequency, integration shows different schedule options:
- Hourly lets you select the minute of the hour using a slider bar.
- Weekly lets you select the day or days you want to run the task and the time.
- Monthly lets you select the day of the month and the time of day.
- Time Zone: Select the time zone of the time to run the task.
- Local Time: Display-only for reference.
- Active: Uses this schedule information to run the task. If unchecked, the schedule saves in the Data Components menu, but the task does not schedule. Add multiple schedules to a task if for multiple scheduling scenarios. Only one schedule can be active at a time.
- Run as me: View only.
- Select Save.
- Drag loaders and tasks from the Data Components pane to the Tasks and Loaders table.
- Add a loader to extract data, perform data manipulation, and load the information into Adaptive Insights.
- Add other tasks to create smaller subtasks as building blocks that combine into larger tasks.
When Integration runs a task, it takes a collection of loaders and tasks and builds a single list of loaders. Integration then refreshes all needed data sources. The loaders then execute in these groups, in this order:
- Planning Metadata loaders
- Discovery Metric loaders
- Planning Data loaders
- Scripted loaders
- Custom Cloud loaders
Within the groups, tasks execute in the order that they were added to the task.
- Select Save.
By reorganizing items in subtasks of a larger task, you can run the same operations in a different order depending on the time of day or month.