Loaders let you synchronize metadata and data in-bulk from a source system to Adaptive Insights. With loaders you automate the manual steps used in Modeling > Model Management to create and update hierarchies of attributes, accounts, dimensions, and levels. You can also automate the manual process of importing data with the Planning Data Loader.
Adaptive Insights loaders include:
Metadata loaders for hierarchies and structures
- Planning Attribute Loader for mapping attributes from the staging area, then importing their hierarchies.
- Planning Account Loader for mapping general ledger (GL) accounts and their properties from the staging area, then importing their hierarchies.
- Planning Dimension Loader for mapping dimension values from the staging area, then importing their hierarchies.
- Planning Level Loader for mapping levels (organizational structures) from the staging area, then importing their hierarchies.
Data loaders for data
- Planning Data Loader for mapping data from the staging area, then importing it to GL Accounts (Standard import), cube and modeled sheets, or transactions tables.
- Scripted Loader for using extract, transact, load (ETL) Pentaho Kettle scripts to perform complex calculations and analysis, loading directly from external sources.
Loaders for exporting from Adaptive Insights to other cloud-based systems
If your organization uses Discovery Enterprise you can also access the Discovery Metric Loader. This loader cannot load to Adaptive Insights sheets or transactions.
When you create a loader you identify how data and metadata in your staging tables maps to Adaptive Insights by:
- Selecting the data source staging tables to load from
- Selecting loader settings, such as creating new dimension values in Adaptive Insights when the loader can't find existing ones to update
- Mapping source system columns to columns in Adaptive Insights
- (Optional) Mapping a Planning Data Loader profile to an external system to enable drilling from Adaptive Insights into that external system
- (Optional) Applying any business rules or SQL filters
- (Optional) Previewing the loader output to check for errors in the logs
- Running the loader manually or scheduling it to run as part of an Integration Task
Best Practice: Import the union of all the data you need to the staging area from one data source. Then filter that data for each loader to extract the specific sets of data you need to load.