Set up of the Workday-Adaptive Insights integration is handled by Adaptive Insights. It is strongly recommended that first-time set up of a Workday-Adaptive Insights integration be performed by Adaptive Insights Professional Services or a certified implementer. Contact your Adaptive Insights Customer Success manager to get started.
You can set up an external system and associate it with a mapping profile in a Planning Data Loader to let users drill from a Adaptive Insights sheet and report data into Workday. When a user clicks a drill back link, Adaptive Insights connects to the system and reveals the data's underlying Workday Business Objects or actuals transactions. You can also set up a Workday external system for publishing plans to Workday by mapping the accounts in Adaptive Insights to account types in Workday.
Associating a mapping profile with an external system is optional, and should only be set up to enable Workday drillback in Adaptive Insights.
Drillback to Workday Actuals
Drillback works by passing Adaptive Insights level, account, time period, and other data that represent a row back into Workday. The information that passes back to Workday applies to a Workday Matrix report definition and renders the report in a new browser tab. You can define a single report in Workday for all accounts or specific reports per account or account hierarchy.
Drillback to Workday Business Objects
After you configure the ability to drill back, a Related Action icon displays in the Cell Explorer when you hover a dimension, level, or account that was loaded from Workday. Click the link and a new tab opens navigating to the Workday Business Object content. Combined level/dimensions, such as Cost Center + Region, are not supported and won't provide a link on hover.
Before You Begin
- Configure a Matrix report type and select Enable as Web Service in the report definition Advanced tab.
In Adaptive Insights verify:
- Workday Power of One was enabled for your instance.
- Your required permissions: Integration > Data Designer
- You created a Workday data source and Workday Credential.
- You created a Planning Data Loader that loads from a Workday data source's staging tables.
- You created a mapping profile in your Planning Data Loader for Workday.
How You Get There
From the nav menu select Integration > Data Designer
- Create an external system and give it a name.
- Set up external system settings so that Adaptive Insights knows what Workday credentials to connect with.
- Set up external dimension mappings to identify how dimensions on the external system map into the dimensions in Adaptive Insights.
- Set up tuple SQL columns if multiple external columns map to one Adaptive Insights dimension.
Create an External System When All of Your Accounts Come from Workday
If every one of your accounts must come from Workday, you would first load those accounts into Adaptive Insights with this workflow.
- Set up a Workday data source.
- Set up a Workday report in that data source to import your accounts.
- Set up a Planning Account Loader to import your accounts from the data source.
- Run the loader to create the accounts in Adaptive Insights.
- Configure the external system after the accounts get created in Adaptive Insights.
Create a Workday External System
Only Workday matrix and composite reports allow drilling. When you create an external system you select the Workday reports and choose the Adaptive Insights accounts and dimensions that map to those reports. No single Workday report contains all of the data useful for the accounts and dimensions Adaptive Insights needs for drill back.
If you map multiple dimensions from Workday into a single dimension in Adaptive Insights, create a custom tuple SQL column in the staging table for your planning data loader.
If you plan to reuse a pre-existing Workday data source for drilling and bring multiple Workday columns into a single Planning dimension, you must redo your mapping using parameter mappings. Any loaders that used the data source must be reconfigured to ensure integration tasks running those loaders still function. Make your parameter mapping changes in a test environment first and validate them before rolling them out to a production system.
- Expand External Systems in the component library.
- Select Create New External System.
- Select Workday.
- Enter a name and select Apply.
Set up Workday External System Settings
The external system settings let you indicate your:
- Workday credentials for authenticating with Workday.
- Mapping profile from your data loader for mapping Adaptive Insights and Workday objects.
- Workday Headcount and Full Time Equivalent elements for publishing to Workday.
- Select the Workday external system.
- Select a Workday credential.
- Select a Mapping Profile. These profiles come from the Profiles tab in the Planning Data Loader.
- (Optional) Select Adaptive Insights Headcount elements to publish a Headcount Plan to Workday.
- (Optional) Select Adaptive Insights Full Time Equivalent (FTE) elements to publish a Headcount Plan to Workday.
- Select a Log level.
- Select Apply.
Set up Workday Account and Report Parameter Mappings
The Workday Account and Report Parameter Mappings Settings tab and its subtabs let you select the:
- Drill report: the Workday Matrix report that you want to drill back to.
- Affected accounts: the Adaptive Insights accounts that drill back to the Workday Matrix report from a right-clicked Adaptive Insights sheet cell.
- Report Parameter mapping: the Adaptive Insights dimensions that drill back to Workday report parameters. When using the Adaptive Insights sheet UI, these indicate the Workday dimension of a right-clicked Adaptive Insights sheet cell.
- Publish Plans account mapping: the Workday accounts that concatenate for publishing plans from Adaptive Insights.
Indicate the Workday drill report, its parameters, and their mappings:
- Select the Account and Report Parameter Settings tab.
- Select New.
- Select an existing Workday matrix report for Drill report. Only Workday Matrix reports configured with Enabled for Planning appear in this dropdown.
- Select every GL account you want for this Workday report.
- Select the Report Parameter Mapping tab.
- Select a start and end Adaptive Insights time period to restrict the date range of the data from the report, if needed. Time periods for your instance come from their definition in Time Administration.
- Select an Adaptive Insights Planning Dimension.
- Select an Adaptive Insights GL account in the Parameter list and map it if the Workday report is not hard-coded to a specific account and does not contain an account report parameter.
You can concatenate Workday accounts by selecting two or more accounts and choosing a delimiter. Concatenate in alphabetical order so that Ledger comes before Spend.
- Select the Workday report parameter that the Planning Dimension maps to. If you need to map multiple Workday parameters to a single Adaptive Insights dimension (i.e. tuple mapping), use the Delimiter column to indicate the character that separates the Workday parameters.
- Save the external system.
Set up Dimension Mapping for Publishing Plans to Workday
When you publish to Workday provide a mapping for planning dimensions in Adaptive Insights to Workday dimensions. A single dimension in planning can map to multiple dimensions in Workday by concatenating them with a delimiter character like an underscore (_).
- Select Dimension Mapping.
- Select a planning dimension.
- Select the adjacent cell then pick at least one Workday Dimension to map to and provide a delimiter to concatenate them.
Set up Account Type Mapping for Publishing Plans to Workday
When you publish to Workday, provide a mapping for the GL accounts in Adaptive Insights to Workday Account types like expense or income.
- Select Account Type Mapping.
- Select an Adaptive Insights GL account.
- Select the adjacent cell then pick the Workday Account to map to.
Configure Custom SQL Tuple Columns for Workday
If you require data import from multiple Workday columns into a single Planning dimension you must configure a custom SQL column for drilling.
For Adaptive Insights to parse the different data items into the source Workday columns, specify which Workday report columns combine to form a single column before importing this data into Adaptive Insights.
The order in which the different Workday columns combine, and the delimiter must exactly match how the many-to-one column mappings are specified in the Workday external system.
By indicating the Workday report columns in your tuple column, Adaptive Insights constructs drill-through URLs on an Adaptive Insights sheet.
Before you create a Custom SQL tuple column, ensure that you have configured the many-to-one column mapping in the Workday external system.
- Create the Custom SQL Tuple Column for ID in the Data Source described at the bottom of the Set Up a Workday Data Source article.
- Create the Custom SQL Tuple Column for Label in the Data Source described at the bottom of the Set Up a Workday Data Source article.
- Set Column Mappings in the Planning Data Loader:
- Select the Planning Dimension that corresponds to the External Dimension Mapping you mapped in the Parameter Mapping in the External System Report Settings tab.
- Select the Mappings tab.
- For each of the External Dimensions, map the corresponding table column.
- Select Apply
- Select Save in the Actions panel.