Set up of the Workday-Adaptive Insights integration is handled by Adaptive Insights. It is strongly recommended that first-time set up of a Workday-Adaptive Insights integration be performed by Adaptive Insights Professional Services or a certified implementer. Contact your Adaptive Insights Customer Success manager to get started.
You can set up an external system and associate it with a mapping profile in a Planning Data Loader to allow drillback from Adaptive Insights sheet and report data into Workday. When a user clicks a drill back link, Adaptive Insights connects to the system and reveals the data's underlying Workday Business Objects or actuals transactions.
Watch this video: 2 m 28 s
Associating a mapping profile with an external system is optional, and should only be set up to enable Workday drillback in Adaptive Insights.
Do not associate a mapping profile in a loader with an external system if you do not plan on using drillback in Adaptive Insights.
Drillback to Workday Actuals
Drillback works by passing Adaptive Insights level, account, time period and other data that represent a row back into Workday. The information that passes back to Workday applies to a Workday Matrix report definition and renders the report in a new browser tab. You can define a single report in Workday for all accounts or specific reports per account or account hierarchy.
Drillback to Workday Business Objects
After you configure drillback, a Related Action icon appears in the Cell Explorer when you hover a dimension, level, or account that loaded from Workday. If you click the link, a new tab opens navigating to the Workday Business Object's content. Combined level/dimensions, such as Cost Center + Region, are not supported and won't provide a link on hover.
Before You Begin
- Configure a Matrix report type and select Enable as Web Service in the report definition Advanced tab.
In Adaptive Insights
- Verify Workday Power of One was enabled for your instance.
- Permissions required: Integration > Data Designer
- You created a Workday data source and Workday Credential.
- You created a Planning Data Loader that loads from a Workday data source's staging tables.
- You created a mapping profile in your Planning Data Loader for Workday.
How You Get There
From the nav menu select Integration > Data Designer
- Create an external system and give it a name.
- Set up external system settings so that Adaptive Insights knows what Workday credentials to connect with.
- Set up external dimension mappings to identify how dimensions on the external system map into the dimensions in Adaptive Insights.
- Set up tuple SQL columns if multiple external columns map to one Adaptive Insights dimension
Create an External System When All Accounts Come from Workday
If all of your accounts come from Workday, the full workflow follows these high-level steps.
- Set up a Workday data source.
- Set up a Workday report in that data source to import your accounts.
- Set up a Planning Account Loader to import your accounts from the data source.
- Run the loader to create the accounts in Adaptive Insights.
- Configure the external system after the accounts get created in Adaptive Insights.
Create a Workday External System
You can only enable drill back to Workday for Workday matrix and composite reports. Select different Workday reports and choose the Adaptive Insights accounts and dimensions that map to those reports. No single Workday report contains data useful for all of the accounts and dimensions Adaptive Insights needs for drill back.
If you map multiple dimensions from Workday into a single dimension in Adaptive Insights, create a custom tuple SQL column in the staging table you need to expose in the Planning Data Loader. If you don't require data from multiple Workday columns in the same Planning dimension, don't create a custom tuple SQL column in the data source.
If you plan to reuse a pre-existing Workday data source to enable drill back and bring multiple Workday columns into a single Planning dimension, you must redo your mapping using parameter mappings. Any loaders that used the data source must be reconfigured to ensure integration tasks running those loaders still function. Make your parameter mapping changes in a test environment first and validate them before rolling them out to a production system.
- Expand External Systems in the component library.
- Select Create New External System.
- Select Workday.
- Enter a name and select Apply.
Set up Workday External System Settings
- Select the Workday external system you just created.
- Select a Workday credential. If you haven't created a Workday credential yet, read about how here.
- Select a Mapping Profile. These profiles come from the Profiles tab in the Planning Data Loader.
- Select a Log level.
- Select Apply.
Set up Workday Report Settings
The workday report settings for an external system let you select the:
- Drill report -- the Workday Matrix report you want to drill back to.
- Affected accounts -- the Adaptive Insights accounts that drill back to the Workday Matrix report from a right-clicked Adaptive Insights sheet cell.
- Parameter mapping -- the Adaptive Insights dimensions that drill back to Workday report parameters. When using the Adaptive Insights sheet UI, these indicate the Workday dimension of a right-clicked Adaptive Insights sheet cell.
- Select the Report Settings tab.
- Select New.
- Select an existing Workday matrix report for Drill report. Only Workday Matrix reports configured with 'Enabled for Planning' appear in this dropdown.
- Select every GL account you want for this Workday report.
- Select the Parameter mapping tab.
- Select a start and end Adaptive Insights time period to restrict the date range of the data from the report, if needed. Time periods for your instance come from their definition in Time Administration.
- Select an Adaptive Insights Planning Dimension.
- Select an Adaptive Insights GL account in the Parameter list and map it if the Workday report is not hard-coded to a specific account and does not contain an account report parameter.
- Select the Workday report parameter that the Planning Dimension maps to. If you need to map multiple Workday parameters to a single Adaptive Insights dimension (i.e. tuple mapping), use the Delimiter column to indicate the character that separates the Workday parameters.
- Save the external system.
Configure Custom SQL Tuple Columns for Workday
All of the following steps need to be completed to configure a custom SQL column for drill back. Perform them only if you require data import from multiple Workday columns into a single Planning dimension.
For Adaptive Insights to parse the different data items into the source Workday columns, specify which Workday report columns combine to form a single column before importing this data into Adaptive Insights.
The order in which the different Workday columns combine, and the delimiter specified, should exactly match how the many-to-one column mappings are specified in the Workday external system.
By indicating the constituent Workday report columns, Adaptive Insights constructs drill-through URLs on an Adaptive Insights sheet.
Before you create a Custom SQL tuple column, ensure that you have configured the many-to-one column mapping in the Workday external system.
- Create the Custom SQL Tuple Column for ID in the Data Source described at the bottom of the Set Up a Workday Data Source article.
- Create the Custom SQL Tuple Column for Label in the Data Source described at the bottom of the Set Up a Workday Data Source article.
- Set Column Mappings in the Planning Data Loader:
- Select the Planning Dimension that corresponds to the External Dimension Mapping you mapped in the Parameter Mapping in the External System Report Settings tab.
- Select the Mappings tab.
- For each of the External Dimensions, map the corresponding table column.
- Select Apply
- Select Save in the Actions panel.