You can swap from the Oracle JDK to an OpenJDK without uninstalling your Adaptive Data Agent. Swapping from Oracle can help you avoid the licensing fees associated with using the Oracle JDK. By default, the Adaptive Data Agent installer will install the Oracle JRE if it does not detect a valid JDK on your system.
Several organizations provide OpenJDK build downloads, including:
- Amazon Corretto
- RedHat OpenJDK
Before You Begin
- Verify the Adaptive Data Agent Service Manager v7.1.44 or newer is installed on your local computer.
- Verify you have local rights on your computer to install OpenJDK.
- Make a note of your Adaptive Data Agent Service Manager version.
- Download a 64-bit OpenJDK build for use with Pentaho Kettle.
How You Get There
These steps take place on your local computer.
Swap the JDK for Adaptive Data Agent Service Manager
To swap the JDK and continue using your existing data agents:
- Stop the Adaptive Data Agent Service in the Windows Services Manager.
- Close the Adaptive Data Agent Manager and Adaptive Script Editor.
- Uninstall the Oracle JRE/JDK and restart your computer.
- Download and install an OpenJDK (.msi or .exe).
- Make sure you select these OpenJDK installation options in Custom Setup in the installation wizard:
- JAR Files Association
- Complete the installation.
- Restart your computer.
- Open the Adaptive Data Agent Service Manager and verify your existing Adaptive Data Agents started.
Troubleshoot Opening Adaptive Data Agent Service Manager v7.1.44
If Adaptive Data Agent version 7.1.44 will not open after you swap the JDK:
- Right click on Adaptive Data Agent Manager in the Windows start menu.
- Select More > Open file location and select
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adaptive Data Agent
- Right click on Adaptive Data Agent Manager in the file explorer and select Properties.
- Change the Target value to indicate the location of the new OpenJDK you installed. This target path to your
javaw.exewill vary based on your OpenJDK installation location.
For example, if you installed the RedHat OpenJDK, you would indicate:
C:\Program Files\RedHat\java-1.8.0-openjdk-18.104.22.168-3\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files\Adaptive Data Agent\AgentManager-1.0.0.jar"
- Select Apply and OK.