Sharing a perspective lets you collaborate with others by giving them view or edit access.You can rename, delete, and check out and publish shared perspectives.
Perspectives can be personal (private for your eyes only) or shared (accessible by others). Personal and Shared folders are contextual and will appear on your Perspectives page only when content is available from them. Personal and Shared folders indicate the number of perspectives that are available from each.
Share or Unshare a Perspective
- Navigate to the Perspectives page.
- Hover over the perspective that you want to share. Click More icon and choose Share from the drop-down. The Shared Perspective dialog appears.
- Browse or search for users:
- Filter the list by All Users, Can View, or Can Edit.
- Search for specific users.
- For each user, click View or Edit to give the user access to the perspective.
- Click Save.
Check out and Publish a Shared Perspective
Any user who has Edit access to shared perspectives can edit the contents of a perspective, including adding dashboards and charts or modifying existing charts.
To edit a shared perspective, you must check out the perspective – even if you are the owner. Checking out a shared perspective locks it and moves a version of the perspective into your personal folder until you publish the changes. Locking prevents other users from editing over your changes.
Edit the Contents of a Shared Perspective
- Navigate to the shared folder of Perspective page.
- Hover over the perspective and click More icon and choose Checkout from the drop-down.
Example: The FP&A director checks out the Executive Summary perspective from the Shared folder.
1 View from user who checked out a shared perspective. The shared perspective appears in both the Personal and the Shared folder. In the Personal folder, a pencil icon indicates that you have the perspective checked out for editing. From the Shared folder, a lock icon indicates that the perspective is unavailable to others for editing.
2 View from the owner can see that the perspective is checked out by another user. The owner can hover over the lock icon to see who has the perspective checked out.
- Click the perspective to view the dashboards.
- Click Edit on the top toolbar. Be sure to click Done when you have finished making your changes to dashboards and charts.
- Publish the perspective to unlock it for other users and to allow them to see your updates.
Publish the Perspective
You can publish the perspective when you are ready to make the changes viewable to other users who have access to this perspective. Publishing checks the perspective back in and makes it available for other users to check out and edit.
- Click the Discovery link to go to the Perspectives page.
- From your personal folder, hover over the updated shared perspective and click More icon.
- Choose Publish from the dropdown. The perspective no longer appears in your Personal folder. Other users can now view your changes and check out the perspective for more edits.
Example: The FP&A director publishes the Executive Summary perspective.
Menu Options for Managing Perspectives
The following table describes the options available from the perspective More icon:
|Perspective Menu Option||Owner||View User||Edit User|
|Share: Share a perspective with users and give them permission to view or edit.
indicates that you are the owner of the perspective.
|Unshare: Stop sharing the perspective with all users. The perspective is no longer available from the Shared folder of these users.
If you want to unshare specific users, choose Share and remove View and Edit access.
For owners, the perspective moves from Shared to Personal only if you unshare the perspective with all users.
|Rename: Change the name of the perspective.||✔||n/a||✔|
|Delete: Delete the perspective and all dashboards and charts within the perspective.||✔||n/a||✔|
|Copy: Create a copy of the perspective and all dashboards and charts within the perspective. You become the owner of the copy.
Copies are not tied to the original perspective. Any updates to the original perspective, dashboards, or charts are not updated in the copy.
|Checkout: Check out a shared perspective and edit the perspective and its dashboards and charts. Only one user can check out a perspective, which prevents others from overriding pending changes.
When a perspective is checked out, users who have access to the perspective can continue viewing and interacting with the dashboard and charts.
Appears in the Shared folder next to the perspective when a shared perspective is checked out for editing. You cannot edit this perspective until the user publishes or discards the changes. Hover over this icon to see who has it checked out.
Appears in the Personal folder next to the perspective you have checked out for editing.
|Undo Checkout: Undo a checked out perspective.||✔||n/a||n/a|
|Publish: Publish the changes. Users who have access to the shared perspective can view these changes. The perspective is available editing.||✔||n/a||✔|
|Discard: Delete a checked out perspective and all dashboards and charts associated with the perspective.||✔||n/a||✔|