A perspective is a group of dashboards and charts, usually focused on a common function such as finance or sales.
When you access Discovery, you start on the Perspectives Overview, a collection of perspectives that you have access to. This Perspectives Overview has four personal perspectives and one shared perspective that is checked out for editing:
Perspectives are personal – private for your eyes only, or shared – accessible by others. The Perspective Overview will be empty until you and others start building perspectives and sharing them. Perspectives are contextual and will appear on your Perspectives Overview when content is available on them. Personal and Shared perspectives indicate the number of perspectives available from each.
This article explains how to create a perspective, edit, manage context filters, and delete. You can also:
- Share a perspective
- Duplicate a perspective
- Send a snapshot of a perspective
Before You Begin
- Take a quick tour of the user interface.
- Required Permission: Access Discovery.
- Edit access to a private or shared perspective.
How You Get There
From the nav menu, click Discovery to display the perspective overview.
Create a Perspective
When you create a perspective, it is personal by default. You can share your perspective with others.
Click to create a perspective. Enter a name and click OK. The Perspective detail page displays with a default dashboard, named Dashboard.
Click the Discovery link (at the top) to go back to the Perspectives Overview to create another perspective or to view to another perspective.
Open a Perspective in Edit Mode
You can change the perspective name or add or remove context filters from the perspective context. You must be in edit mode to make these changes.
- Click to view the perspective and click from the toolbar.
- Click the perspective name in the toolbar. Edit focus is on the perspective.
The Appearance and Data Settings tabs for the perspective display in the right panel. You can edit the perspective.
Change the Perspective Name
You can rename a perspective from the Perspective Overview or from the Perspective details page when in edit mode.
From the Perspectives Overview
- Click the More icon on the perspective and choose Rename.
- In the dialog, enter another name and click Ok.
From the Perspective Details in Edit Mode
With the edit focus on the perspective, go to the right panel and enter another name in Appearance Settings.
Manage Custom Context Filters
Content filters let you temporarily change the data scope of your visualizations at the perspective level. The following is a set of context filters available for the Executive Summary perspective, including custom context filters: Customer and Product.
By default, each perspective comes with a set of permanent context filters:
Custom context filters are created by choosing dimensions, attributes, or their dimension or attribute members.
Create a Context Filter
- From the Data Settings tab, click to open a panel with a list available selections.
- Choose a dimension or attribute, or expand to choose a dimension or attribute member to add immediately to the context filter.
- Adding a dimension or attribute, sets the default context to All
- Adding a dimension or attribute member sets the default context to the selection. For example, if you are production manager overseeing a specific product line, you can create a context filter on the Product dimension that defaults to the product you manage, such as laptops. Once added as a context filter, your charts will visualize data by default for laptops only.
Remove a Context Filter
From the Data tab, click X in the context field and click OK to confirm.
The context filter is removed and will no longer display in the toolbar.
Delete a Perspective
You can delete a perspective from the Perspectives Overview. Deleting will remove all dashboards and charts associated with the perspective. You can only delete a private perspective or a shared perspective that is not checked out.
- Click the More icon on the perspective and choose Delete. A confirmation displays.
- Click Ok to delete.