This document will cover how to use Level Attributes to create an alternate hierarchy to support a view of the company prior to reorganization. In the end, the Level dimension will reflect the current state of the company but in reporting we can view either the current structure or the pre-reorganization structure.
This guide will leverage the existing Level dimension to simplify the setup of the Level Attributes.
- Login to Adaptive Insights and navigate to Modeling -> Model Management -> Levels
- Click the Printable View icon , this generates an Excel file that we will use as the base for the Level Attributes
- Delete all the columns except for “Name” and “Roles up to”
- Delete all the leaf Levels (the Levels with no children), this leaves the file with the rollup levels as they are defined today
- Set this file to the side for now
- Navigate to Modeling -> Model Management -> Level Attributes
- Click the icon to import the Level Attributes
- Click the Download Template link, select the “Level Attributes” tab in the downloaded Excel file
- In row 5 in the “Attribute Name” column, enter the name of the attribute. For this guide, we will use “Pre Jan18 Reorg”
- Referring to the file set aside in step 5, copy the items from the “Name” and “Roles up to” columns and paste them to the “Attribute Value” and “Parent” columns starting in row 6
- Delete any parent value of “None”
- Save the file
- On the Import Level Attribute Structure screen with Append selected, click Choose File and browse for the file you just saved
- Click Upload
- Navigate to Modeling -> Model Management -> Levels
- Click the Printable View icon , this will create the file that will have a column for the new attribute that we will use to update the Level dimension
- You may have to unhide the column with the attribute name that you used in step 9
- Delete all the columns except for: “Name”, “Rolls up to” and, “Pre Jan18 Reorg” (whatever you called the attribute)
- Copy the values from the “Rolls up to” column to the “Pre Jan18 Reorg” column, delete any values of “None”
- Save the file
- Back in Adaptive Insights click the icon to update the Levels
- With Update selected, click Choose File. Browse for the file you just saved, click Upload
- We now have two identical hierarchies.
- Now update the Level dimension to reflect the current structure
- Option 1: Between steps 19 and 20 you could also change the “Rolls up to” information in the file to give the levels their new parent information completing your reorganization in one step
- Option 2: Using the file saved in step 20, update the “Rolls up to” information for any levels that are being adjusted as part of the reorganization. Save the file, follow the steps 21-22 to Update your Level dimension
- Option 3: Manually make the updates if there is not too much to change.
- In Reporting, you can now build your reports around the current Level dimension or leverage the Level Attribute for the pre-reorganization view of data. Sample Reports:
Level Dimension pre-reorganization
Level Dimension post-reorganization (4 levels moved)
Report showing both the pre and post reorganization results