Adaptive Insights offers the capability of connecting multiple instances of its hosted system together, allowing data to be seamlessly copied between instances, and allowing users to have access to multiple instances at once and easily transition between instances. Even instances of different Adaptive Insights products (e.g. Adaptive Consolidation and Adaptive Planning) can be seamlessly linked together using this solution.
This feature is useful in many situations, including:
- Corporate consolidation of a conglomerate
- Modeling radically different company processes
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Functional group planning like: Sales planning, Marketing planning, etc.
- Setting up a sandbox for detailed what-if planning
- Collecting and reporting on non-financial metrics/data
- Investment portfolio management
- Retaining a subsidiary’s chart of accounts or fiscal years before rolling up to the parent organization
- Instance: Sometimes referred to as a company or a model, an instance is the collection of structural components that define an entity. An instance consists of a single set of accounts, organization structure, versions, dimensions, attributes, sheets, versions, permissions, fiscal years, integrations, etc.
- Instance tree: The multi-instance feature lets you link instances together in a hierarchy or tree. Instance trees can contain any number of instances with any level of hierarchy.
- Linked level: A linked level is a level in a parent (target) instance that inherits some or all the data from the top level of a child (source) instance.
Users who have access to more than one instance of Adaptive Planning see a special "instance selector" to the right of their name along the top edge of Adaptive Planning pages. From this selector, they can transition to any of the instances of Adaptive Planning to which they have access. Users can be configured with different roles and permissions, and different level access, in each of the instances to which they have access. Administrators of a multi-instance system have access to a control on the Edit Users page, which they can use to assign access to individual instances for users, as well as define their default instance (the instance a user sees when they first log in).
Multi-Instance Data Transfer
Instances can be linked for data transfer purposes by creating Linked Levels in the Manage Levels screen, connecting a level in one instance to the rollup of data from another instance. Once connected, a linked level can apply data import maps and filters to limit, transform, or summarize the data brought from the other instance. The data is copied from the other instance into the linked level, and can be refreshed on demand by simply clicking the "Refresh Data" button on the linked level. Data from plan versions and the Actuals version can easily be copied between instances.
The ability to connect multiple instances of Adaptive Insights products quickly and seamlessly adds vast amounts of power to the Adaptive solution, allowing you to model many complicated situations simply and easily:
- Subsidiaries which roll up their financials to a consolidating parent can do so with complete autonomy: they can have separate charts of accounts, separate budgeting cycles, separate fiscal years, and separate users and roles.
- Companies can perform different forms of planning and combine the results easily, such as having a separate Sales Planning instance which has different sets of versions, users, and levels, but whose sales forecast results still roll up to a main budgeting instance.
- Creating a sandbox instance where you can experiment with building different models is now easier than ever, since you can now have one or more users with access to both your production and sandbox instances at the same time. No need to login to a different system or use different credentials; you only need to select the instance you wish to see from your instance selector.
This feature is available as an add-on to Adaptive Planning and Adaptive Consolidation. To purchase the Multi-Instance Solution option, please contact your Adaptive Insights Account Executive.